Sunday, November 28, 2010

THE BIG EVENT

The Big Event
Exhibition Stadium (Toronto, Ontario)
Original Airdate: August 28, 1986



Look...I know it's been awhile. And for that I apologize. I really enjoy writing in this blog, and I don't think I'm going to lose interest anytime soon. So if you have some interest in this, my little pet project, just stay with me. It will move along, albeit at a sometimes slower place.



I also realize this is not technically a pay per view event. I am including it for a couple of reasons. First, I figured since it was a whole year between honest to god pay per views at this point, it might be fun to take a little pit stop. Secondly, I very distinctly remember renting this tape from our local video store at least 5 times as a young kid, so I thought it would be fun to revisit.



It's funny what you look forward to when you're little, isn't it? I remember when my mom would take me and let me rent a wrestling tape. I had 24 hours with that thing, and honest to god, I would watch it at least twice in that 24 hours. Sometimes thrice. Despite how that sounds, I also enjoyed playing outside. (just wanted to clear that up) Anyway, take "The Big Event" for example. On the surface, there is really nothing special about it. I think the announcers claim it set some sort of attendance record (if it did, the record was promptly broken by Wrestlemania 3). Other than that, it's really just a house show that was taped in front of 60some thousand people. (wrestling geek term alert: a "house show" is a live event not taped or shown live on television. generally, the results of house shows have little no bearing on the overall storylines. Because of this, they are often criticized for being boring). There were no title changes. In fact, there was only one title match.



But that didn't matter. Despite the inclusion of such C list mid-80's talent as "Iron" Mike Sharpe (most famous for his onscreen claim to having a wrist injury for something like 5 years) and Ted Arcidi (umm...who?), I remember watching this like it was the biggest pro wrestling card to ever come down the pike. Amazingly enough, my childhood favorite (The Ultimate Warrior, if you're curious. But more on that later) wasn't even involved. (he hadn't yet come to WWF).



What sort of point am I trying to make here? I guess just that its funny how devoted a young kid can be to one thing. And I was nothing if not devoted. I had all the merchandise (at least whatever I could get my mom to buy me) and I honestly spent a lot of time thinking about wrestling (I mean, what was I going to think about instead? school?). When I got to a certain age, I even had a notebook where I wrote down tons of dream matches and cards. I'm not really sure what happened to that notebook, but hopefully it got destroyed. Its existence in 2010 would be fairly embarrassing. Like I said way back in my introduction post, I still watch a ton of wrestling, but it certainly doesn't rule my thoughts, like it once did. But for a few magical years in the late 80s/early 90s, all that mattered to me was whether or not I'd have time to watch King Harley Race vs Pedro Morales once more before the video store closed.







Card:
The Killer Bees (Jumpin' Jim Brunzell and B. Brian Blair) def. The Funk Brothers (Hoss Funk and Jimmy Jack Funk)(w/ Jimmy Hart)
The Magnificent Muruco (w/Mr Fuji) fought King Tonga to a time limit draw
Ted Arcidi def. Tony Garea
The Junkyard Dog def. Adrian Adonis by countout
"The Rebel" Dick Slater def. "Iron" Mike Sharpe
Bobby "The Brian" Heenan, Big John Studd and King Kong Bundy def. Lou Albano and The Machines (Super Machine and Big Machine) (w/Giant Machine) by disqualification
Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat def. Jake "The Snake" Roberts in a Snake Pit match
Billy Jack Haynes def. Hercules Hernandez
The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (Jacques and Raymond) def. The Dream Team (Greg "The Hammer" Valentine and Brutus Beefcake)
King Harley Race def. Pedro Morales
Hulk Hogan def. "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff (w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) by disqualification



NEXT: WRESTLEMANIA 3

No comments:

Post a Comment